Skip to main content

Momma's Brain

We finished our first week of almost-normal routine.  I say "almost" because two major activities of the week - Friend 2 Friend and MOPS don't start until September.  I know things will get busier then, but for now, my brain kind of feels like mush.

With Ben in pre-school 3x a week, I get fantastic one-on-one time with Joey.  I can even involve him in chores to an extent, so I can play with him and do things like wash dishes (he stands on a stool by the sink) or straighten up while he plays nearby.  When he takes a little chill-out time to watch a movie, I have already done some housework and don't necessarily have a lot to do.  When Ben comes home, Joe goes down for his nap.  We play games and then he gets his chill-out time to watch a movie or play Wii.  Again, my housework is mostly done and I'm again slightly bored.  I do chill-out myself, don't get me wrong, but I need something else to do. When they go to bed at 7:00 at night, Andrew usually has school work to do, I'm left to entertain myself. 

I've not been a good habitual reader ever since I left AP English my senior year of high school!  I decided to print out a list of classic literature and I hope to stretch the old brain cells a bit.  I used to feel like I shouldn't read other books if I can't keep up with reading my Bible.  But thanks to a 1 year reading plan, that's been great.  I also used to think I should read books that will challenge and grow my walk with the Lord before I read for leisure.  That leaves me to watching tv for "leisure," and surely I can be spending my time in a more productive way.  My next trip to the library will actually include a book for me.


I've also struggled a bit lately feeling like "just" the maid, cook, and laundry lady.  Trust me, Andrew treats me like a princess, not like the wait staff!  I also pulled out a book I read awhile back called The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson.  I read it when Ben was a baby and think it's time for the refresher course.  I'm in the job I was called to be in, and while I'm completely satisfied with that, I think I just need a little reminder of my calling.  :-)


Comments

  1. I'm going to have to see if my local library has that. I always have a book or two that I am reading. Chances are it isn't a classic, but I still enjoy it. I love being able to get lost in a book and being able to forget about my own problems for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog