Skip to main content

Recipe Time: Pumpkin Pie

I have made 6 pumpkin pies this fall so far because my family can't get enough of them!  I had no idea they were so easy and they are so much tastier than buying frozen.  In fact, I didn't really even like pumpkin pie until this year and making my own.  Plus, I like that the kiddos are getting all the good stuff out of pumpkin when they eat dessert!

Grab the ingredients (most are on sale right now!) and impress your family next week at Thanksgiving dinner!

I've been following the Libby's recipe (found on the back of the can of pumpkin) but I've tweaked it a little bit to make it even better.  Click here for the original recipe, and here is my tweaked recipe, as approved by my #1 taste tester and life-long pumpkin pie lover, Andrew:


3/4 cup packed brown sugar (the original recipe calls for granulated.  In my last batch, I switched to brown sugar and Andrew said it was the best tasting pie I had made so far). 
1 super-heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (my addition)
(The original recipe also calls for 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, but I don't have those so I didn't use them)
splash of vanilla (my addition)
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
1 9-inch (4-cup) deep-dish pie shell OR 2 9-inch (2 cup) pie shells 
(fyi - the 2 cup size is what you can easily find in the baking aisle; I couldn't find the 4 cup size)

MIX all ingredients. 
POUR into pie shell(s).

FOR 2 SHALLOW PIES: Bake in preheated 425°F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F.; bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
(For a 4 cup crust, bake in preheated 425°F. oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F.; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until pies test done).

Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

These two beauties are in my oven (which looks much dirtier when the flash is used, woah!) right now to bring to our annual Thanksgiving pot-luck lunch at church tomorrow!  Enjoy and happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog