Skip to main content

It's Fall, Ya'll!

Finally, October weather is acting like October.  Up until this week, we've had the A/C on most days here because it's been too warm!  As I type, I have two homemade pumpkin pies (see my recipe here from last year) in the oven and Hannah's sleeping in fleece footie jammies.  Ahhhh, October!! 

Much like last year at this time, I declared Fall Break in our schooling.  We've been trucking along since mid August, taking just a couple days off or holding off a subject here and there.  It was SO needed for the kids and for me.  We still had CC on Monday and Bible study today, but I have felt a break from the burden of getting everything done.  It's nice to breathe a bit.

One thing that has been making life around here MUCH easier is Hannah's verbal development.  Up until the last week or so, she didn't have many words at all.  We're not worried about it so much as we are growing weary of how she acts out her frustration at not being able to express herself.  But this week came the huge development of "uh-HUUHHHH" for yes!  Ohhhh, such a simple little cue for so many important things.  Her few main words sound similar:  "jooooos" for juice, "joe" for George, meaning her new BFF Curious George, and "shoooooo" for her favorite item on this planet:  shoes.  She also says "hah-oh" for hello when she waves or pretends to talk on the phone, which she will do with any object from a bagel to a pen to a shoe. She is doing a lot of babble talk too and is rarely quiet or still.  We've removed the barricades in our living room that kept Hannah contained in there and I'm catching her in all sorts of mischief.  Yesterday, she was sitting on the dining room table playing with colored pencils.  She is 2x the work that Ben and Joey were at this age, COMBINED.  Boys are definitely not the only troublemakers, lemme tell you!

The boys have chosen their Halloween costumes.  We don't really make a big deal out of Halloween other than costumes and a bit of trick-or-treating.  Ben wants to be Pikachu (the yellow guy from Pokémon) because they've been borrowing Pokémon Wii games from the library and are really into the characters.  I found the costume CHEAP on Amazon.  And Joey keeps changing his mind.  Up until just an hour ago, he wanted to be a Lego Man.  But in our research for making such a costume, he spotted a robot and now wants to be that.  One trip to Dollar Tree for aluminum baking tins and one trip to Lowes for metallic dryer ductwork and a few other items should get us set.  For Hannah, I have a super cute Minnie Mouse costume that a friend gave us but there's no way she would wear the ears or white gloves.  I may just make her a kitty cat since that's her favorite animal on the planet these days.  :-)

And lastly, I've really been hearing God speak to me about prayer lately.  I wish I could say that it's because my prayer life is so awesome and he's just patting me on the back.  Conversely, it's because my prayer life is terrible.  In His gentle and loving way, he's reminding me of that.  Whether it's my pastor's sermon, my Sunday School class, my personal study time in Colossians, or in a workbook study that I do with others on Wednesday morning, prayer is the theme.  I'm finally at a point that I can't ignore this weakness in my life anymore.  Time to work.  More on that again soon.

Enjoy the rest of the week, friends! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog