Skip to main content

Defining Love

I've been studying Colossians alongside my sweet friend Jodi and we get together each Wednesday night to dig through what Paul taught the church at Colossae.  We have spent about 5 weeks going through this short 4 chapter book, only chewing on about 5-10 verses at a time. 

I was really taken by something Paul writes in chapter 3 in which he talks about the believer's life as a Christ follower.  Take a moment and go read the whole chapter here; it's so good! 

I especially loved verses 12 - 14 (I've been reading out of NASB lately):
So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.  Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
As I study scripture, I often try to get to the heart of an idea by eliminating the "fluff" of a sentence and whittling it down to the meat.  Look at that last sentence broken down into its most essential words:
Love... is the perfect bond of unity.
Before I read this, I probably would say that by nature I'm a pretty optimistic person it is hard for me to be angry about something or someone for very long because I naturally want to find the silver lining.  But then I read this about love and unity and it all makes sense... the love for people that God has given me makes me not want to be divisive.  It makes me not want to pick a fight, prolong an argument, or be content in unforgiveness.  And on top of that, Paul uses the word agape here for love.  In Greek, this is the kind of love that Jesus demonstrated by dying on the cross for humanity.  For believers, it is the kind of love where one gives up what he or she wants for the sake of someone else.  It is fleshed out through action (not a mere feeling), and it is sacrificial.   
 
One of the most sad things about our country is that it is so divided.  In any realm of opinion, Side A hates side B and thinks they are idiots, and side B hates side A and thinks they are idiots.  And you could probably list several occurrences of "I'm right and you're wrong" arguments you've been a part of or read lately on social media.  Often times no one listens to anyone, everyone is on the defensive, and ZERO respect is given.  It kills me.
 
As believers, unity isn't an option.  It's what God expects of His precious Church.  I've learned over the years that there are things worth dividing over, and there are MANY things not worth division.  It works this way in marriages.  In extended families.  In the workplace.  In your neighborhood. 
 
And did you catch that the bulk of the gift of unity is compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, bearing with one another, and forgiveness?  It's just wrapped up with love as one big package.  A present actually!  I question myself... how am I doing in each of these areas?  Have I been paying attention to the needs of those around me?  Have I put pride aside and humbled myself?  And everyone's favorite:  have I forgiven? 

I can't wave a magic wand and create unity wherever I go (though I wish I could in some situations, sigh).  We are all responsible for ourselves and doing the very best we can, with Christ's help, to strengthen the fibers of our relationships with love in action. 

Love... is the perfect bond of unity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog