Most people ask "why me" in times of great difficulty and trial. Sometimes many resort to shaking a fist at God, hearts aching with thoughts like "Why do I deserve this?" and "How could You do this to me?"
I've been asking God these very questions in these last couple weeks, but from a very different perspective. He's been so good to me in so many ways. Ways I don't deserve by any means. It's been a long time since I've had to walk down a difficult road.
Why me, Lord? Why do I deserve this? How could you do this to ME?
I've been asking God these very questions in these last couple weeks, but from a very different perspective. He's been so good to me in so many ways. Ways I don't deserve by any means. It's been a long time since I've had to walk down a difficult road.
Why me, Lord? Why do I deserve this? How could you do this to ME?
I don't read His precious Word when I have such a privilege to do so.
I don't talk with Him and pray, again, when I have such a privilege to do so.
I am lazy and not as disciplined as I should be with many things.
I am lazy and not as disciplined as I should be with many things.
I am often selfish with my time, talent, and treasure.
I depend on myself or other people instead of the Lord.
I depend on myself or other people instead of the Lord.
I am not working very hard to fulfill the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20).
In all these ways (and then some!), I'm a mess. Why should a person like this receive such blessing? Other than the simple mercy and grace of Jesus Christ, I am not sure.
So then, what is a person to do with such thoughts? According to the standards of this world, I have quite a debt with God. I mean, he's been really really good to me. He scratched my back, so I in turn must scratch His. How can a person prove to God just how thankful she is?
I can't.
So then, what is a person to do with such thoughts? According to the standards of this world, I have quite a debt with God. I mean, he's been really really good to me. He scratched my back, so I in turn must scratch His. How can a person prove to God just how thankful she is?
I can't.
I can't "do" anything to make myself more thankful-looking in God's eyes. Isaiah 64:6 says "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags." Not I-just-spilled-the-milk kind of rags, but rags used to wipe off the oozing sores of a leper. Or used by a woman during her menstural cycle. F.i.l.t.h.y. I am thankful for 1 Samuel 15:22 in times like this: "To obey is better than sacrifice." He just wants my heart, not my frivilous attempts to please Him.
Sunday morning during worship, the song Blessed Be Your Name helped me know what to do with this heart full of gratitude.
Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise
Ok. Turn these blessings back to praise. I can do that! How simple. Oh, how we complicate things.
The next song comes along... You Are Holy... one of my absolute favorites. I learned early on in my walk with Christ that praising Him shouldn't be a list of things He does for us. It should just be praising Him for who He is. These simple words of praise brought so much peace to my heart.
You are Lord of lords
You are King of kings
You are mighty God
Lord of ev'rything
You're Emmanuel
You're the Great I Am
You're the Prince of Peace who is the Lamb
You're the living God
You're my saving grace
You will reign forever
You are Ancient of Days
You are Alpha Omega Beginning and End
You're my Savior Messiah Redeemer and Friend
You're my Prince of Peace
And I will live my life for YouWith a great burden lifted, my heart sings hallelujah!
And that's all I have to do.
Comments
Post a Comment