Skip to main content

Ends and Beginnings

We're in our final 3 days of "nothingness" until school starts for everyone on Monday.  Andrew goes back for 2 days of meetings before students come on Wednesday, and Ben and I will begin first grade. 


In these last weeks of summer vacation, we've done quite a bit:  catching up with friends at some playdates, swimming, hitting up Dave and Busters, and completing a few mini-projects around the house.  I've got our school stuff all ready to go.  I've only planned out the first week because I have no idea how things will actually happen.  I didn't want to have to erase a month of lesson plans because I have to go back to the drawing board!  Last Saturday we day-tripped to Effingham, IL to see very good friends of ours.  Before that we visited Andrew's grandparents who live an hour away.  And we've had a few fun visits from Grandma and Grandpa Scott too. 

Since we've been home from our July travels, it's been slightly awkward around here in the sense that we're all ready for normalcy again.  Summertime is great, it's great having Daddy home, but by this time in August we're all itching for structure and schedules again.  There are some guys who rock the "stay at home Dad" thing, and we've had friends who have done it (and done it well!).  But that lifestyle was not written on the heart of Andrew and this summer kind of proved it.  Next summer he will look into getting a part time job. Mainly it will be to make extra money to continue paying down our student loans as well as the debt we owe on the new windows we got a few years ago.  I get SO lazy when he's home - like every day is Saturday - and it's really hard for me to have any discipline with structured activities with the kids.  We found this summer that they really need structure.  We are both thankful though that his presence at home all summer allowed us both to really really enjoy Hannah's infancy and bond with her substantially in spite of the fact that she's the 3rd baby.  What a treasured time.

While I am looking forward to the new school year, it does make me kind of nervous.  Someone asked me recently what it's like having 3 at home.  I said I really haven't truly experienced it yet... summer break started when Hannah was just about 3 months old, and so much of that time before summer she spent sleeping!  Now that she's almost 6 months she is much more demanding of attention.  We will be adding more subjects into school so it will take longer.  And the mommy taxi will shuttle Joey to preschool 2 days a week.  Now before you get all judgey judgerson on this poor wife of a teacher who has it so good every summer, just imagine having a double of yourself around every day for a couple months and suddenly having to give it up cold turkey one day!  Maybe you don't feel like sympathizing, but that's ok with me.  It's my reality and that's just kind of how life is for us as summer wraps up. 

I'm actually expecting a rough transition these next couple of weeks.  Hopefully I'm proven wrong!  But when things balance out and we all find our groove, I think we will have ourselves a great year.  Here's to new beginnings!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog