Ben experienced one of the first rights of passage of childhood... he lost his first tooth last night! We first learned it was loose in late September from his dentist... I had no idea! I noticed the other day it was really REALLY loose and told him it would probably fall out soon.
Last night during Community Group, as the adults sat in the basement living room, all the kids came busting out of Ben's bedroom and Ben excitedly told us it fell out. He said he was wiggling it with his finger and it just came out in his hand. It was really special that his friends were all there AND there was a chorus of cheering from the grown-ups! After all our friends went home, we called all the grandparents to share the good news.
When bedtime came and it was time to put the tooth under his pillow, he freaked out. We told him there would be money in the morning. Still freaked out. He was tired (so were we!) and I wasn't in the mood to fight him on this one. Choose your battles, right? So I asked where we could leave the tooth. He was satisfied with the bathroom counter. For some reason, he had it in his head that he would get 2 gold coins (who does he think he is, Mario?).
We had some gold $1 president coins that Andrew's grandpa has been giving us, so that's where we went for gold coins. When Ben woke up, I heard him go into the bathroom and the gold coins being slid off the counter. When he came upstairs, he had a big grin and said "My tooth turned into gold coins!" We called Daddy at school immediately and shared the good news.
This is my favorite part. I asked Ben if he wanted to put the coins in his piggy bank or maybe to buy something at Target when we go there later this morning. He said he wanted to go back to the grocery store to buy marshmallows! Last time he went with me, he said he wanted a bag of marshmallows for a treat. And while normally I would oblige (they are less than a dollar after all!) we already had many treat options and wanted to get through those first before a bag of marshmallows sat getting hard and stale in the pantry. I told him he could buy marshmallows with his own money. So now that he has his own money, that's what he wants to buy!

Comments
Post a Comment