What a day. What a week. What a month. November hasn't been very friendly to us.
The kids and I passed fevers around to one another for two weeks. Even though it was just fevers, they came on without warning, went away quickly, and then came back again. Times four. Living on the edge of that isn't fun, especially when it coincided with Andrew's oral surgery six days ago. He had to have his second molars removed b/c they didn't fit in his mouth properly. One was impacted and almost a week out, he still has a good amount of pain. And we have realized a little too late that he really should have asked the surgeon for a different pain killer that didn't make him feel so sick. Live and learn.
Today was the kicker. After these last two weeks of all this hullabaloo and not going to sleep at a responsible time the last several days, I had to deal with my anxiety issues for the first time in a LONG time today. As I've openly shared before, it's nothing emotional or mental; there is no fear or worry. It's a purely physical stress response and it's my body's way of telling me "I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" From about 8:30 - 11:00 today, I had periods of adrenaline rushes and overwhelming need to just lay down and take a nap. Unfortunately, I was at Bible study and couldn't do that. But fortunately, I was at Bible study! I had a whole crop of wonderful friends who supported me through prayer and three who participated in driving me and the kids home (because that's how exhausted I felt) and helped to get lunch on the table. They listened. They loved. Each was a tangible example of the Body of Christ helping one of its own. I called Andrew's mom in desperation because Andrew was still in bad shape after attempting to teach these last two days. She's here now and lifting quite a burden for us. Breatheeeeeeee.
In other news, maybe you've seen this article about a well-known "Christian" parenting book that has come under criticism for being too harsh, bordering on child abuse. Someone followed the suggestions of the book, went way too far, and it resulted in the death of their child. It's horrific. I never read the book in question though I have heard of it. What I have read about their doctrine and methods is not good. It got me thinking that in general, I'm not a fan of child-rearing books. They each have their place and can have value, but there are only three opinions that really matter when it comes to raising my kids: mine, my husband's, and God's. Andrew and I are the experts in Ben, Joey, and Hannah. Even the best qualified child psychologist won't know their unique personalities and needs and behaviors. And God created us and is the Expert in us all. I look to His Word for parenting advice and for a model of how to treat one another. When I look at Jesus' ministry, I see servant leadership, love, compassion, and forgiveness. But I also see a clear picture of absolute Truth, right/wrong, and of justice. We just follow Christ as we raise our babes. Can't go wrong there.
So with all this blah news today, what IS good? Next week we are headed north to Chicago for Thanksgiving with my family and I cannot wait!! I miss them a bunch and can't wait to hang with my parents, sisters, brother, nieces, and nephew. It'll be good to get out of town for a handful of days and away from the routine of life.
Here's to things looking up!
The kids and I passed fevers around to one another for two weeks. Even though it was just fevers, they came on without warning, went away quickly, and then came back again. Times four. Living on the edge of that isn't fun, especially when it coincided with Andrew's oral surgery six days ago. He had to have his second molars removed b/c they didn't fit in his mouth properly. One was impacted and almost a week out, he still has a good amount of pain. And we have realized a little too late that he really should have asked the surgeon for a different pain killer that didn't make him feel so sick. Live and learn.
Today was the kicker. After these last two weeks of all this hullabaloo and not going to sleep at a responsible time the last several days, I had to deal with my anxiety issues for the first time in a LONG time today. As I've openly shared before, it's nothing emotional or mental; there is no fear or worry. It's a purely physical stress response and it's my body's way of telling me "I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" From about 8:30 - 11:00 today, I had periods of adrenaline rushes and overwhelming need to just lay down and take a nap. Unfortunately, I was at Bible study and couldn't do that. But fortunately, I was at Bible study! I had a whole crop of wonderful friends who supported me through prayer and three who participated in driving me and the kids home (because that's how exhausted I felt) and helped to get lunch on the table. They listened. They loved. Each was a tangible example of the Body of Christ helping one of its own. I called Andrew's mom in desperation because Andrew was still in bad shape after attempting to teach these last two days. She's here now and lifting quite a burden for us. Breatheeeeeeee.
In other news, maybe you've seen this article about a well-known "Christian" parenting book that has come under criticism for being too harsh, bordering on child abuse. Someone followed the suggestions of the book, went way too far, and it resulted in the death of their child. It's horrific. I never read the book in question though I have heard of it. What I have read about their doctrine and methods is not good. It got me thinking that in general, I'm not a fan of child-rearing books. They each have their place and can have value, but there are only three opinions that really matter when it comes to raising my kids: mine, my husband's, and God's. Andrew and I are the experts in Ben, Joey, and Hannah. Even the best qualified child psychologist won't know their unique personalities and needs and behaviors. And God created us and is the Expert in us all. I look to His Word for parenting advice and for a model of how to treat one another. When I look at Jesus' ministry, I see servant leadership, love, compassion, and forgiveness. But I also see a clear picture of absolute Truth, right/wrong, and of justice. We just follow Christ as we raise our babes. Can't go wrong there.
So with all this blah news today, what IS good? Next week we are headed north to Chicago for Thanksgiving with my family and I cannot wait!! I miss them a bunch and can't wait to hang with my parents, sisters, brother, nieces, and nephew. It'll be good to get out of town for a handful of days and away from the routine of life.
Here's to things looking up!
What a not fun month! That book has me so bothered! I haven't read it and just what I have heard of it are horrifying! Hope Andrew feels better make sure you call and pester that doc if things don't get better!
ReplyDeleteI have read that unfortunate article. And my first thought is: these people must not be familiar with the book from which the title has come, because if they had read the Bible, they would know that those behaviors are certainly not New Testament approved or advocated. You have said exactly what I've been thinking lately. With untold numbers of parenting books on the store shelves, and even my inbox flooded with parenting "answers," I've decided that mostly they are not worth my time. No book is tailored to both mine and my husband's personalities and also thie whims of Isaac and Alaina (and the dynamic of the two of them together!). It can sometimes be like following the owner's manual for a PC when you have a Mac! :) However, I am thankful to have a Book that is living and active, and can applicable now when they're little and also when they're leaving for college. I use it as my guide book for everything else, why wouldn't it be my go-to in parenting as well! So glad I'm not alone in my distaste for parenting books!
ReplyDelete