There are two types of people in this world: those who begin celebrating Christmas in October (cough cough, my dear friend EJN, heehee!), and those who are ready after Thanksgiving is over. I fall into the latter category. The tree doesn't go up until after Thanksgiving and I don't want to listen to Christmas music until then either. I think it stems from being a musician and usually having to start Christmas music early in the fall. :-)
One thing I will do, however, is keep my eyes open for excellent deals. I think it's ridiculous that stores push Christmas consumerism this early. And I think it's being pushed even earlier this year than last (case in point - our Target had some Christmas decorations available for purchase about 30 feet from the Halloween decorations). But even if stores weren't starting sales this early, I would still be scouting out good prices on things I would be wanting to buy anyway.
Here are a few ways I'm getting a jump on shopping, saving money, and staying organized!
Amazon.com
We have running wish lists for everyone in our family and periodically check them to see if prices have changed. I also just made a list for ideas for extended family members too. Generally speaking, Amazon has the best and most competitive prices. Something I had on Hannah's wish list was really cheap right around Joey's birthday, so we bought it and included it on his birthday purchases to save on shipping. The lists are easy to share with those who want to buy a gift for any of us. And besides these specific lists, I've come up with the most unique gifts for kids just by spending time perusing the toys department. Neat stuff! Three of our lists may belong to the same person... I'll let you figure that one out. ;-)
We have running wish lists for everyone in our family and periodically check them to see if prices have changed. I also just made a list for ideas for extended family members too. Generally speaking, Amazon has the best and most competitive prices. Something I had on Hannah's wish list was really cheap right around Joey's birthday, so we bought it and included it on his birthday purchases to save on shipping. The lists are easy to share with those who want to buy a gift for any of us. And besides these specific lists, I've come up with the most unique gifts for kids just by spending time perusing the toys department. Neat stuff! Three of our lists may belong to the same person... I'll let you figure that one out. ;-)
Coupons
I don't spend oodles of times hunting down good deals. There's one simple way to get the them, and that is to check out stlmommy.com. She does all the hunting for you and tells you what to do to get excellent deals on toys when they pop up. Like her on Facebook for the really good stuff put right in your newsfeed! I learned how to "hunt" from my mom, and last night she scored a great deal at Target! Between price matching Amazon's price and using a manufacturer coupon and Target coupon, she spent $8 on the Little People doll house for my niece! I plan to go and get the same thing and give it to Mission Gate Prison Ministry Christmas Angel program that we participate in through our church each year. Hannah already has a doll house so there's no need for another one around here, and this is just too excellent a deal to pass up!
I don't spend oodles of times hunting down good deals. There's one simple way to get the them, and that is to check out stlmommy.com. She does all the hunting for you and tells you what to do to get excellent deals on toys when they pop up. Like her on Facebook for the really good stuff put right in your newsfeed! I learned how to "hunt" from my mom, and last night she scored a great deal at Target! Between price matching Amazon's price and using a manufacturer coupon and Target coupon, she spent $8 on the Little People doll house for my niece! I plan to go and get the same thing and give it to Mission Gate Prison Ministry Christmas Angel program that we participate in through our church each year. Hannah already has a doll house so there's no need for another one around here, and this is just too excellent a deal to pass up!
Organization
I found this neat printable through Pinterest last year and it was so helpful keeping track of gift giving. I printed a fresh one off last night and had fun writing in what I've already stashed away!
I found this neat printable through Pinterest last year and it was so helpful keeping track of gift giving. I printed a fresh one off last night and had fun writing in what I've already stashed away!
![]() |
| Photo Credit |
For the first time I've put all this stuff -- coupons, catalogs, and the gift buying checklist -- into a spare folder for easy organization and access. I've started collecting various store coupons that have been coming in the mail. I have no intention of using any or all of them. I really don't plan on spending $100 at Toys R Us before Thanksgiving, but just in case I do, I can at least save $10 in the process. :-)
What are you doing to save money on Christmas gifts this year?


Comments
Post a Comment