Skip to main content

Getting Organized

We've been home from the last of our summer travels since Friday afternoon, and we hit the road running with some organizing projects around the house to maximize space around here. 

Ever since we moved in here (8 years ago!), we've used built-in bookshelves in the basement for Andrew's dvd collection.  However, we've run out of space and because they were designed for books, there was a ton of wasted space.  I have wanted to move the dvds to something designed to hold them, but all the options were either too small or too expensive (or both!). 


But then there was Ikea.  Insert angel choir "ahhhh" here. 

It's only about 15 minutes south of my parents' house and I have no idea why we haven't made time to go there sooner.  We didn't necessarily go with an agenda, but after perusing the website, I found something that I thought we could really use.  DVD storage!  We stopped on the way out of Chicago en route to Decatur.

I found these cd/dvd shelves at $5.99 a piece.  We bought 14!!!  You can hang them horizontally for cds or vertically for dvds.  Andrew was quite excited to get the project done.  It turned out like this and we have plenty of room to spare for growth.  Now the bookshelves are filled with BOOKS and we were able to take out our stand-alone bookshelf by the computer desk to open that space up some more. 


The other project is homeschool related.  I was browsing a few store websites looking for some storage solutions for our supplies.  We had been putting books up on our hutch and using plastic drawer carts for everything else.  The hutch is now too small and the drawer carts have gotten dingy and have broken wheels.  I stumbled upon this GEM on target.com, on clearance for 50% off - about $20.  Shipping was free with my Target debit card, and I bought two!  I was able to get them in the espresso color, but they still have the maple color for the same price if you want to get one.  Andrew put them together and I was able to get them filled up in no time flat.  I still have some things to move around on it, but it's nice to have everything all in one space and looking clean, organized, and keeping in the style of the rest of our house.  Sometimes it's fun to have everything matchy-matchy in terms of storage baskets, and I can definitely be that kind of person.  But I thought here it would be fun to have an eclectic mix of storage bins so I didn't have to buy more than necessary.  In addition to the storage baskets we already had here, I picked up a few more brightly colored ones at Dollar Tree for... $1 each! 

If you've been to our house, you will remember we used to have the piano in this spot.  In June, I moved that over into the entry hallway.  It's opened up the dining room quite a bit! 

And one last easy storage issue was storing the baby!  She has outgrown the pack and play bassinet insert and it was time to put the crib up.  We've also worked this week on getting her out of the swaddle blanket and accustomed instead to her little blankie that our friend Kim made her.  It took a good two days of crying it out (and it wasn't pretty).  But starting at bedtime last night she hardly fussed when we laid her down.  She went right down for her nap this morning too.  Hooray!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog