It's hard to believe that it's already time to begin thinking pre-school for Joey. We absolutely loved Ben's experience at Our Savior Lutheran Church's pre-school near our house, and we knew if Joey was going to go anywhere, it would be there. I met with the director yesterday morning and I'm SO glad I did.
Because of his sharp-as-a-tack mind, I thought we'd just put him in the 4 year old class. Although it has an August cut off and Joey has an early Sept. birthday, Barbara was willing to make an exception because of the relationship we already have with Ben attending and me teaching music there; she knows me and trusts my opinion. But, it's a three day program and I really wanted him to go only two days. I did not even consider putting him in the two day 3 year old class because I thought he'd be too bored in there. Barbara made me feel so much better about it because it is the schedule that works best for us, and they currently have a 3 year old in there who is able to read and the teachers work with that (oh, and it's $45 cheaper a month!). He would have the same teachers Ben had, and I know that they'll love him and help him grow and learn.
We love how homeschooling is going, and at this point just plan to continue on with Joey for kindergarten when he gets there. However, we loved how pre-school taught Ben how to be a learner. He came into mydining room classroom knowing how to "do school": how to write his name, how to sit and listen to stories, how to listen to and obey the teacher, etc., and I think it's made my job this year much easier. We wanted those same experiences for Joey and look forward to him growing and developing!
This leaves us with options for the following year, when he's 4, going on 5. If we feel he's ready for kindergarten, we'll start that here at home. But if he's still not ready and we can afford it, we can put him in the 4 year old class for one more year of pre-school. Obviously can't make decisions yet, but it's good to know there are options!
I love having a plan. :-)
Because of his sharp-as-a-tack mind, I thought we'd just put him in the 4 year old class. Although it has an August cut off and Joey has an early Sept. birthday, Barbara was willing to make an exception because of the relationship we already have with Ben attending and me teaching music there; she knows me and trusts my opinion. But, it's a three day program and I really wanted him to go only two days. I did not even consider putting him in the two day 3 year old class because I thought he'd be too bored in there. Barbara made me feel so much better about it because it is the schedule that works best for us, and they currently have a 3 year old in there who is able to read and the teachers work with that (oh, and it's $45 cheaper a month!). He would have the same teachers Ben had, and I know that they'll love him and help him grow and learn.
We love how homeschooling is going, and at this point just plan to continue on with Joey for kindergarten when he gets there. However, we loved how pre-school taught Ben how to be a learner. He came into my
This leaves us with options for the following year, when he's 4, going on 5. If we feel he's ready for kindergarten, we'll start that here at home. But if he's still not ready and we can afford it, we can put him in the 4 year old class for one more year of pre-school. Obviously can't make decisions yet, but it's good to know there are options!
I love having a plan. :-)
Comments
Post a Comment