Skip to main content

Hitting the Book

By the end of 2009, Andrew and I were pretty frustrated with ourselves for getting out of the habit of daily Bible reading and prayer.  We don't read the Bible to "earn points" with God or to feel better about ourselves.  We were created to have a relationship with God, and how can you have a relationship with anyone if you're not in regular communication with him or her?  For the year of 2010, we both set out to read the entire Bible in a year, following a reading plan.  Click here to find it.  Andrew didn't quite make it through the whole year, but I did and enjoyed it immensely.

I thought I would go ahead and do the same plan for 2011.  I started out with it but quit after a month or so because I was in a very good, regular habit of reading daily (or almost daily).  But it sure didn't take long to get out of the habit. 

So here I am, looking back at 2011 wondering what I may have missed out on by falling out of the habit of spending time with the Lord each day.  Sure, I've gone to church just about every Sunday, helped lead our small group, and have been a part of Bible study and Sunday School classes.  But those good times of worship, study, and fellowship do not equal one-on-one time with the Lord.  It would be like Andrew and I attending public events together, but never speaking a word to each other in private.  There's no relationship there.  Same is true with God!

Andrew and I both felt it was time to utilize another reading plan to get us back on the right track again.  A one-year plan was going to be much too overwhelming for both of us, and we thought it would be nice to have less to read so we can dig in a bit more.  Today I found a two-year plan that alternates between Old and New Testament (click here to find it).  The most you'll read in any one day is two chapters.

The dawn of a new year is a great time to resolve to do new things, start new hobbies, break bad habits, etc.  Of all those things you could possibly do though, I strongly strongly encourage you to get into God's Word, even if attending church right now is something you're not interested in.  Just start with building your relationship with God!

Let us know if you'd like to join us on this journey and we are more than happy to help keep you accountable too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog