Skip to main content

A Week in Chicago

I'm sitting here at my parents' house in Chicago while Andrew and the boys are on I-55 south heading toward Decatur.  We've got quite an elaborate scheme of getting us all back together again by Tuesday, and it's a small miracle it all worked out!  I am still here because my high school band is having a reunion Sunday afternoon.  Andrew has to be at church Sunday morning and work on Monday, so he's dropping the kids at his parents house today and will head back to St. Charles sometime later today.  Monday afternoon, I will ride back to central IL with friends of mine who will be at the reunion, where my in-laws will pick me up and take me back to their house with Ben and Joey.  I think we will finally make it back to St. Charles on Tuesday afternoon after a funeral they have to attend.  I'm really looking forward to the reunion tomorrow... not only will our director (who left teaching to go conduct musicals on BROADWAY!) be there, but so will so many of my friends who I haven't seen since the mid to late 90s.  And since my class didn't end up having a 10 year reunion, this will be especially meaningful.

We've had a crazyfun week here!  It started off with birthday presents for Ben and Joey!  We haven't been here since before Ben's birthday, and Joey's is in just a month, so we did it all in one full swoop.  Ben and Joey certainly were spoiled by Grandma and Grandpa!

On Thursday, Andrew and I took the boys for their first El train ride (and first train ride ever) downtown.  We didn't go with a real plan persay, but just with the intent to make our way to Michigan Avenue to walk around, window shop, and lunch somewhere yummy.  We naturally hit the Lego Store in Water Tower Place, which is coincidentally right next door to the American Girl store.  Unfortunately, my little men would not let me walk near the American Girl store with them, so I guess I'll have to go some other time!  We had lunch at Gino's East and enjoyed some goooooood Chicago deep dish pizza.  The boys really loved the train ride to and from, and the ride home got especially interesting when crazy loud drunk guy got on and was talking at the top of his lungs about all sorts of nonsense.  Thankfully, for the most part, his language was clean.  :-)
Waiting for our train
We did tons of swimming all week thanks to the pool right in the back yard.  Ben is definitely a land lover and would only get in the water if he could hang on our backs.  We tried a few times to get him more comfy in the water but it didn't work very well.  Joey, on the other hand, has taken to the water like a little fish.  We picked up these floaty devices after a friend's recommendation, and Joey is Mr. Independence in the water.  He quickly figured out all on his own how to move his arms and legs to propel through the water.  He never wanted to get out.  That's my boy!!!
And lastly, the most fun was watching the cousins play.  Ben and Kaylie (she's 3 1/2) really buddy-ed up on this visit and had fun playing hide and seek and running around the yard together.  All for grandkids got in the "jumpy jumpy" and only one drew blood... :-)
And the boys' visit last night wrapped up with a visit to the fire station.  My dad is one of the trustees of the fire department in their township (he used to be a volunteer fireman back in the day too).  Needless to say, we have the hook-up!  The kids got to climb in and on and around the trucks.  Joey, Mr. I-love-vehicles, was in his glory despite being pretty intimidated.  :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog