I read through the book of 1 Peter a couple months ago and really sensed that I needed to go through again to dig in a little deeper. So I've been doing that, journaling verse by verse, praying and applying my way through, trying to see what God is teaching me right now. There are so many lessons I can't hardly keep up. But I wanted to share a few of the big ones. I love how this picture here really captures the main ideas of 1 Peter: be set apart. My life and behavior should not look like what the world says it should look like. I should be different... I should look set apart. And it all starts with chapter 1.
I would be remiss if I didn't mention the first few verses about the hope we have in Christ. In verses three and four of chapter 1, Peter says "In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade." I love how he says, essentially, that God's mercy gives us an inheritance. What is the inheritance? Heaven! And did you notice that God's mercy gives it to us, and we don't earn it by being "good people?" Exactly how many "good things" must a person do to "earn" heaven? NONE. Think about that.
The biggest thing that I've been repeating to myself over and over from chapter one are the Oh-Lord-this-is-way-easier-said-than-done verses 14-16: "As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.”
I started thinking about myself before I met Christ. I accepted Christ as a 20 year old college girl. I had a very moral upbringing and I think my parents did a fantastic job imparting those values to me. I had a great circle of friends through high school and we were so busy with band and drama that we were at school till like 9:00 every night and had no time to get in trouble. The same was true of my first year and a half of college. I was an A student. I helped out at home and babysat my younger siblings. I never put alcohol or drugs or cigarettes to my lips... I wasn't even in a circle of friends who did anything remotely close. I was a picture perfect good girl.
But scripture is clear that even though we do "good" things, there are still inherently sinful behaviors within us - otherwise, why would Christ have come, right?! As I thought about my pre-Christ shortcomings, the one that immediately jumped out at me was that I was prideful (and this is something I still have to work on!) I was an efficient person who could usually get the job done herself. I was self-sufficient. I have always been a typical Type A firstborn and I like getting my way because, naturally, it's the best way (duh!). Why would I need God? Before committing my life to Christ, I told my friend Michelle that God was so obviously busy with starving children, war, and homeless people, and I was doing just fine on my own. Why should He need to take time to worry about me?
Well, a handful of verses out of this first chapter provided for a plenty-long blog, so I will come back with another installment soon. So much good stuff... thanks for coming along on the ride with me.
Comments
Post a Comment