And just like that, we're facing the last couple days of August. Thanks to a slow weekend, our fam was able to commemorate the dwindling days of summer by spending the afternoon at a local pool. I think we earned it - we've all worked really hard as we've moved into the school year and it's gone so well in our first couple of weeks back.
In my curriculum choices post a while back, I talked about creating some schedules for us to use this year. I've never used a daily schedule before because I felt like I needed flexibility while I had really young ones underfoot. I'm very glad I did it that way. But now that there aren't really young ones underfoot, I felt that it was finally time for something a little more structured. And funnily enough, even though 3 years ago a schedule would have been a stifling burden, right now I feel like the schedule lifts burdens gives so much freedom. The trick is making sure one kid has something to do while I work with another.
Here's what we do Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (because we're at CC on Mondays and I have to modify it on Tuesdays while we're gone for Ben's band rehearsal).
8:30-10:00: math, memory work binder [contains several random independent things like map tracing, a weekly memory work fill-in-the-blank worksheet, times tables practice], CC memory work (when we recite, play games, etc), cursive, Hannah's pre-school workbook/activities. I stagger the boys' math so I can help them learn the new concept, then they work on the problems and ask for help when they need it. Hannah mills around at first, and when the boys are operating pretty independently, I work with her. This is definitely the busiest part of the school day and I'm glad we get it done first thing.
10:00-10:30: break
10:30-11:30: spelling, assigned literature, keyboarding, Joey's grammar.
11:30-12:30: lunch break/clean-up
12:30-1:30: Ben's Essentials (writing and grammar), Joey's writing
1:30-1:45: break
1:45-2:45: Symposium Loop**
2:45-3:15: Alternate 30 minutes of free reading and instrument practice
**Our symposium loop is the brainchild of Sarah Mackenzie and is the number one reason I feel our homeschool this year feels airy and free. This loop represents 6 entire subjects I don't have to figure out how to schedule in each week!! Symposium (Greek) means "a conference, meeting, or convival discussion, especially held in ancient Greece after a banquet." For us, it's primarily our shared subjects and ones that are a bit more relaxed in nature, which is nice after buzzing through our "3 Rs" subjects earlier in the day. This is the time we generally move away from the table and sit in the living room together.
The order we follow: history --- read aloud --- Latin --- science --- art --- read aloud --- Latin --- history --- science --- read aloud --- Latin --- history --- music. I printed and laminated the list, then stuck it up on the big board in the dining room. I use a mini-clothespin to track where we leave off so we know where to start the next day. There's no set days or time limits per subject. If we get through two subjects during Symposium, great. Maybe we get through one because it was our read-aloud and we couldn't stop! Or maybe we buzz through three different things because that's just how we felt that day. All I know is that it's working and working well.
Classical Conversations started this past week. We are in our 4th year and our second time through Cycle 2. I'm finding a groove in my new role as a director (no more teaching for me - now I'm in administration, ha!). The best part of this new job is getting to be in all of my kids' classes each week!
Hannah's enrolled in a class now! She's working on map tracing here.
In my curriculum choices post a while back, I talked about creating some schedules for us to use this year. I've never used a daily schedule before because I felt like I needed flexibility while I had really young ones underfoot. I'm very glad I did it that way. But now that there aren't really young ones underfoot, I felt that it was finally time for something a little more structured. And funnily enough, even though 3 years ago a schedule would have been a stifling burden, right now I feel like the schedule lifts burdens gives so much freedom. The trick is making sure one kid has something to do while I work with another.
Here's what we do Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays (because we're at CC on Mondays and I have to modify it on Tuesdays while we're gone for Ben's band rehearsal).
8:30-10:00: math, memory work binder [contains several random independent things like map tracing, a weekly memory work fill-in-the-blank worksheet, times tables practice], CC memory work (when we recite, play games, etc), cursive, Hannah's pre-school workbook/activities. I stagger the boys' math so I can help them learn the new concept, then they work on the problems and ask for help when they need it. Hannah mills around at first, and when the boys are operating pretty independently, I work with her. This is definitely the busiest part of the school day and I'm glad we get it done first thing.
10:00-10:30: break
10:30-11:30: spelling, assigned literature, keyboarding, Joey's grammar.
11:30-12:30: lunch break/clean-up
12:30-1:30: Ben's Essentials (writing and grammar), Joey's writing
1:30-1:45: break
1:45-2:45: Symposium Loop**
2:45-3:15: Alternate 30 minutes of free reading and instrument practice
**Our symposium loop is the brainchild of Sarah Mackenzie and is the number one reason I feel our homeschool this year feels airy and free. This loop represents 6 entire subjects I don't have to figure out how to schedule in each week!! Symposium (Greek) means "a conference, meeting, or convival discussion, especially held in ancient Greece after a banquet." For us, it's primarily our shared subjects and ones that are a bit more relaxed in nature, which is nice after buzzing through our "3 Rs" subjects earlier in the day. This is the time we generally move away from the table and sit in the living room together.
The order we follow: history --- read aloud --- Latin --- science --- art --- read aloud --- Latin --- history --- science --- read aloud --- Latin --- history --- music. I printed and laminated the list, then stuck it up on the big board in the dining room. I use a mini-clothespin to track where we leave off so we know where to start the next day. There's no set days or time limits per subject. If we get through two subjects during Symposium, great. Maybe we get through one because it was our read-aloud and we couldn't stop! Or maybe we buzz through three different things because that's just how we felt that day. All I know is that it's working and working well.
Classical Conversations started this past week. We are in our 4th year and our second time through Cycle 2. I'm finding a groove in my new role as a director (no more teaching for me - now I'm in administration, ha!). The best part of this new job is getting to be in all of my kids' classes each week!
Hannah's enrolled in a class now! She's working on map tracing here.
The boys are in the same class this year, first time ever!
Hannah's class works on basic elements of drawing -- circles, lines, dots, angles, and curves.
The boys' class was outside for science experiments. Here they are learning why satellites have to travel so fast as they circle the earth.
And our "class picture" :-)
Jenn, your community emotes positive feelings! And it all starts with you! I think you've found your nitch!!
ReplyDeleteAww thanks Dianne. You've been such an encouragement to me since I decided to direct!
DeleteI love this, Jenn! So glad your year is off to a great start! Didn't you love Sarah Mackenzie's book? Fresh ideas!
ReplyDeleteHer book is amazing. She gives us the permission we homeschoolers sometimes need to relax!! She doesn't know it yet, but we're best friends. :-P Have a great start to your year at home and in CC, Hope!
Delete