Whether you want to admit it or not, the new school year is closing in on us. I've always been a school lover so back-to-school time for me is exciting. I love the planning, the supply shopping, and dreaming of the year ahead.
Ben – 5th grade
|
Joey – 3rd grade
|
Spelling: All About Spelling vol 6
|
Spelling: All About Spelling vol 3
|
Math: Saxon 6/5 - continued from last year
|
Math: Saxon 5/4
|
| Grammar: Classical Conversations Essentials of the English Language Program | Grammar: First Language Lessons level 3 |
Writing: IEW Teaching Writing Structure and Style Practicum & Medieval History Based Writing Lessons (done in conjunction with Essentials program)
|
Writing: Concepts from IEW's Teaching Writing Structure and Style Practicum (see this post from last week)
|
Piano: continue private lessons with Dad using the Bastien series (pub. Neil A. Kjos)
| |
| Cursive: Random free printable copywork pages from various sources |
Cursive: Random free printable copywork pages from various sources
|
I'm hoping to enroll Ben in band this year through our county homeschool association. He hasn't chosen an instrument yet and I'm not sure he's even really on board. But if band fails for this year, then both boys will join choir instead.
Hannah gets to join our Classical Conversations community for the first time this year! I know she will absolutely love it. We won't be doing anything huge at home though. She'll listen to memory work and play games with us, and I have some pre-school workbooks (a la what you'd buy at Barnes and Noble) with various concepts like learning letters, math, etc. And of course we'll read lots of books. I've found some cute hands-on activities like letter matching for her too.
For their shared subjects, I'm going to attempt a loop schedule that Sarah McKenzie talks about on her blog and in her fantastic little book Teaching From Rest. On her blog, she aptly titles the post about looping "Task Management for the (Recovering) Type A Mom." I love the idea of making sure we get to subjects that are so easy to toss aside. For us that usually means all facets of art and listening to classical music with a critical ear, sometimes read alouds.
Irony of all ironies, on our road trip last month I had mapped out a wonderful plan for exactly how I would loop and even some crude plans at a daily schedule (which I have never attempted before!). I just went to find it. I can't find it anywhere. I never lose things like this. The Lord does love to remind me who is really in charge here! I guess I will now be re-planning to loop the following subjects.
For their shared subjects, I'm going to attempt a loop schedule that Sarah McKenzie talks about on her blog and in her fantastic little book Teaching From Rest. On her blog, she aptly titles the post about looping "Task Management for the (Recovering) Type A Mom." I love the idea of making sure we get to subjects that are so easy to toss aside. For us that usually means all facets of art and listening to classical music with a critical ear, sometimes read alouds.
Irony of all ironies, on our road trip last month I had mapped out a wonderful plan for exactly how I would loop and even some crude plans at a daily schedule (which I have never attempted before!). I just went to find it. I can't find it anywhere. I never lose things like this. The Lord does love to remind me who is really in charge here! I guess I will now be re-planning to loop the following subjects.
History and Geography: Mystery of History Vol 2, map tracing.
|
Science: Library books and the Christian Kids Explore series to tackle our CC science topics (animal biology, earth science, space, chemistry, & physics), notebooking pages from another CC mom, Cycle 2 science links available at Half a Hundred Acre Wood
|
Latin: Latin For Children Primer A, continued from last year. I purposely worked slowly through it and it was the perfect pace for us. We have about half of the book left.
|
Art: using CC concepts and various print resources
|
Music: using CC concepts and and listening using free SQUILT printable
|
Read Alouds: no set plan in place with what we'll read. We just go with what sounds good at the time! With Dad the boys have been reading through the Chronicles of Prydain series that Andrew loved as a kid. And I know for sure our first read aloud of the school year with me will be the latest in the Growly series that we've grown to love, called Haven.
|
CC Memory work review and prepping oral presentations each week
|
Will our year end up looking like this? Who knows. What I DO know is that it's so important to take the temperature of your household on a daily basis and roll with it. Plans are SO great, but I have learned that if executing the plan comes at a cost of wrecking your relationships with your children, it's just not worth it. My job is to teach hearts, not books!

Comments
Post a Comment