Skip to main content

Using the TWSS with Younger CC Kids

This post is directed at CC families who have younger kids and want to do some structured writing with them before they hit Essentials in 4th grade.

Disclaimer:  please note that structured writing instruction is absolutely not necessary before Essentials.  It's just something I have carefully chosen to spend a little time on with my kids before 4th grade.

Before my oldest son hit Essentials last year, we had been dabbling in the Writing with Ease series by Susan Wise Bauer through grades 1-3.  But after sitting in a year of Essentials, using Institute for Excellence in Writing materials, I realized that Writing with Ease doesn't really target the skills that are emphasized in IEW.  And now that my second child is an up-and-coming third grader, if I'm going to spend any time working on writing skills with him, I would much rather use something that will help him in the long run.  Instead of going completely back to the drawing board, it hit me that I could use what I already had in my possession to introduce him to IEW concepts and not spend a dime (insert angel choir "hallelujah" here)!!!

You need a couple things to do this.
One: the Teaching Writing Structure and Style binder from IEW. Essentials families should already own this, and if you haven't hit Essentials and want to go this route for your younger elementary student, this binder is needed.

Two: you'll need to watch the seminar DVDs for this binder to make sense.  Essentials moms will watch this with their class; not-yet-Essentials moms can see if they can either borrow the set from their community's tutor, or jump in with the moms for their viewing parties.  Or if you happen to have an extra $155 lying around, you can buy yourself a set from IEW.

Three:  In the front of your binder, you'll see a blue page with instructions for the free downloads that come with your binder purchase.  One of these downloads is called "Practicum Workbook Blackline Masters e-book."  Download this.  It's a 140+ page document with source text for all ages, so don't get scared when you see how big it is.  While the binder itself is the curriculum, the blackline masters provide your source text for writing assignments that you'll do with your younger elementary student (Essentials students use different source materials in case you didn't already know this).  I sat down and picked out a handful of source pieces for units 1-5 that I think my son will like.  I'm not really sure if we'll go beyond that, and if we do I can print them out when the time comes.  You could also pick out other things to be source text, but I say hit the easy button and go with what's provided!

The TWSS binder and source materials I printed from the Blackline Masters e-book
When you look through the units within the binder, you'll see sections like these - how to adjust for each grade level.  WHO KNEW??!!!  Watch the video, read the grade level recommendations, and voila - instant writing instruction for younger kids.


If you're not sure what a finished assignment should look like, that's in the binder too!  They provide samples and lots of tips for the teacher.

So that's it!  I'm looking forward to starting this with my second-born and to see how his big brother will be able to employ some early rhetorical skills to help out from time to time.  Good luck with your school year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog