A homeschool mom is only as good as the people supporting her, and I have to thank Andrew and his parents for supporting me this week as I trek off with some friends to Cincinnati for the Midwest installment of the Great Homeschool Convention. The only reason I can go is because Grandma and Grandpa were free this week. They are coming to stay here and keep tabs on the kids while Andrew teaches in the daytime and attends school functions in the evening.
I am leaving Wednesday afternoon to stay the night at my dear friend Elizabeth's house (of last week's post's fame!). Then on Thursday morning I will meet up with my travel buddies to head east.
The expo hall will have 300 vendors and the schedule of speakers is chalk full of well-known authors/bloggers/speakers in the homeschooling community. Each time slot has about 12-15 sessions from which to choose. I've been studying the schedule and plan to attend sessions by Cathy Duffy, Heidi St. John (The Busy Mom blog), Matt Walsh, Susan Wise Bauer (she's the Well Trained Mind author and we use some of her curriculum), Linda Lacour Hobar (author of the Mystery of History series that we've used) and the Fly Lady! I will hit some sessions about classical education and be able to hear from Classical Conversations speakers. I will also hear from Jennifer Beck, who I don't know anything about, but she caught my eye with the session title of "I Once Threw a Chair and Other Tales of Successful Homeschooling." Ha!
The expo hall will have 300 vendors and the schedule of speakers is chalk full of well-known authors/bloggers/speakers in the homeschooling community. Each time slot has about 12-15 sessions from which to choose. I've been studying the schedule and plan to attend sessions by Cathy Duffy, Heidi St. John (The Busy Mom blog), Matt Walsh, Susan Wise Bauer (she's the Well Trained Mind author and we use some of her curriculum), Linda Lacour Hobar (author of the Mystery of History series that we've used) and the Fly Lady! I will hit some sessions about classical education and be able to hear from Classical Conversations speakers. I will also hear from Jennifer Beck, who I don't know anything about, but she caught my eye with the session title of "I Once Threw a Chair and Other Tales of Successful Homeschooling." Ha!

I'm excited to listen to and soak in as much wisdom as humanly possible from these folks, most of whom are homeschooling veterans themselves. I have a few items left on my curriculum shopping list that I miiight buy there, but I can also order online and let them ship it to my front door so I don't have to carry it around all day.
I will report back with my experiences!! Yay!!!
Hey, Jenn - Jenn P. here - can you email me? (jenniferjonesperry@gmail.com) - It's in regards to the details of the GHC Blogger Meetup. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks!