Back in July one night before bed, Ben was really unsettled in his spirit. He asked a lot of questions about what it means to follow Christ in one's life. He made the decision to do that. This is important because none of us are born into faith. Ben cannot ride on the fact that his mom and dad are commited followers of Jesus, or the fact that his dad works at our church. He needed to make that decision himself, and he did!
In many evangelical churches, following the decision of faith comes baptism. There's nothing magical about it... nothing changes Ben or his relationship with the Lord or his eternal salvation (that was taken care of simply by placing his faith in Christ and choosing to make him Lord). It is a step of publicly confessing his faith and being obedient to scripture to follow Jesus' example of baptism. It is a picture of dying to self and being raised to new life in Christ.
It is hard to know if a child really means what they say in this subjective arena of faith. But Andrew and I see a change in Ben. We see the conviction of the Holy Spirit in his little life! Although it seems silly and shallow, he loves worship music significantly more than he ever did before. He'll say, "I'm a believer now Mom so I love Jesus music!" And he feels bad when he realizes his attitudes and behaviors have been off. "But Mom, I'm a Christ follower now and I shouldn't be doing that," he'll say through a choked-up voice. These examples (and many more) help us see that is real in his life!
Immersion baptism has its roots in the origins of the word in Greek, meaning to dip or immerse. Since the Bible doesn't specifiy who does the baptizing, Andrew stepped in to dunk Ben!
Baptism can be a touchy subject, as different denominations teach/practice differently from one another. I love this explanation Hank Hanegraaff gives on his website. It's not about the outward act, but the inward condition of the heart!
I'm so proud of my son, my little brother in Christ!
In many evangelical churches, following the decision of faith comes baptism. There's nothing magical about it... nothing changes Ben or his relationship with the Lord or his eternal salvation (that was taken care of simply by placing his faith in Christ and choosing to make him Lord). It is a step of publicly confessing his faith and being obedient to scripture to follow Jesus' example of baptism. It is a picture of dying to self and being raised to new life in Christ.
It is hard to know if a child really means what they say in this subjective arena of faith. But Andrew and I see a change in Ben. We see the conviction of the Holy Spirit in his little life! Although it seems silly and shallow, he loves worship music significantly more than he ever did before. He'll say, "I'm a believer now Mom so I love Jesus music!" And he feels bad when he realizes his attitudes and behaviors have been off. "But Mom, I'm a Christ follower now and I shouldn't be doing that," he'll say through a choked-up voice. These examples (and many more) help us see that is real in his life!
Immersion baptism has its roots in the origins of the word in Greek, meaning to dip or immerse. Since the Bible doesn't specifiy who does the baptizing, Andrew stepped in to dunk Ben!
Ben was so excited all week, and he was really excited waiting for baptism time. Here he is running and jumping around in the classroom...
It's almost time!
Stepping into the tub. The water was nice and warm!
Andrew sharing with everyone about Ben's faith
So excited!!!
"Buried with Christ through baptism"
"Raised to walk in newness of life!"
Big smiles!
Baptism can be a touchy subject, as different denominations teach/practice differently from one another. I love this explanation Hank Hanegraaff gives on his website. It's not about the outward act, but the inward condition of the heart!
I'm so proud of my son, my little brother in Christ!
Comments
Post a Comment