Skip to main content

Stream of Consiousness

Every few days I think I want to get over here and write something about my kids, about homeschool, about our great God, and then life happens... our Life Together.  I noticed in the blog archives list on the right side of the screen that the number of posts has decreased as my children have increased!  Oh well, I guess it saves you from reading really dumb stuff and you just get the really important things.  :-)

Speaking of the "archives," I shared the bulk of this blog post at church today.  A new year of our community groups begins Thursday and I wanted to share how I've benefited immensely from the small group model over the years.  If you're not a part of a small group but would like to be, join me and Andrew and our kids this Tuesday night!

Yesterday night, we had our friends over for dinner and a movie!  They brought the entrĂ©e, we made sides/dessert, and watched Despicable Me (the original) because we have never seen it... oi vey.  The kids had a blast and we parents did too!  For dessert I wanted something easy and no-bake, so I made this recipe but used pretzel sticks instead of the graham crackers. Salt, crunch, caramel, and chocolate make for a very very dangerously wonderful combination! 

Our first week of homeschool was really really good, and I'm so thankful for that.  Ben needed 1 day to kind of slide back into the routine, and it's taking Joey a bit to adjust to this new chapter in his little life, especially as a "young" kindergartener.  He actually would not be starting KG this year if he was going to public school because his birthday misses the cut-off by a handful of weeks.  With that in mind, I'm taking it very easy with him, being 100% positive and encouraging and doing whatever it takes to help him enjoy our time together.  Anything less would be completely counter-productive at this point.  Like many of his peers, Joey cried on his first day of kindergarten too!  He saw that we had math, handwriting, and reading as his subjects.  When we got to reading, he started crying!  When I asked what was wrong, he said in trembly, broken, choked-up words, "But... I... don't... know how to read yet!"  In his mind, he thought reading was me making him sit and read books like his big brother does for the same subject!  I explained that I would be teaching him HOW to read.  He likes reading now.  :-)

Hannah has been a bit difficult this past week.   She is teething and that's messed up her sleep.  The girl that was sleeping till 7:30 in the summer was getting up at 6 am all week and not napping long enough to compensate.  She didn't like my attention going to the boys during school time and was very vocal about it.  She does like playing with her Crayola Color Wonder markers.  She will scribble on the special paper a little bit, but she really likes taking the marker caps on and off.  Until she's bored, and then she throws them everywhere.  I also tried giving her one or two Crayola Dry Erase crayons and a dry erase book to color on.  Well, she ended up eating the crayons, and let's just say that Friday's science experiment was to see if things in her diaper turned out blue.  :-)

We have one more week of "just homeschool" and next Monday our Classical Conversations community starts up!  The following week, our Wednesday Bible study program kicks off too.  I know having these two events will get us very busy, but I look forward to the opportunities we all have to learn and grow in many different ways. 

Till next time!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog