He is finishing out the last month of being 4, as his birthday comes around next month. I realized this summer that he has really matured in behavior. He's always been a strong willed one, and while that hasn't changed, he's learned to make better choices from the get-go. He still irritates his big bro when he is bored and I'm sure that will never change! But as much as he loves to be a stinker some times, he loves people. He generally does not meet a stranger and will carry on conversations with anyone who will listen to him. Yesterday, it was the cashier at the grocery store! Before we left, she knew the ages of our whole family. :-) And while we were in Chicago 2 weeks ago, he really buddied up with his cousin Nathan who is 3. They played so well together and Nate was ready to go home with us is his Momma would have let him. It was sweet to see Joey take on a big-brotherly role.
The thing I think I love most about Joey is his brain. He is a thinker (like his Dad!) and I can often see the wheels turning in his head as he ponders whatever is on his mind. The connections he can draw between things or ideas is pretty astounding. He is reading quite a bit without formal training, so I look forward to seeing what he does as we start our reading curriculum (Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons). I love how he looks at me with his chocolatey brown eyes and tells me things that are so important to him. I love how he has no filter these days and will say what is on his mind. It usually starts with, "I have good news" or "I have bad news." To us the news is inconsequential, but to him it is serious business. He told his Aunt Kristy, in reference to her amazing homemade cupcakes with homemade buttercream frosting, "Aunt Kristy, I have bad news. I do NOT like your frosting." Gave me a good giggle.
His love tank is filled up best with quality time, and that is a hard thing to devote to the middle child, especially because of the toddler sister. Even doing things at the dining room table is hard when she is around because she can reach up and pull things off. I know that moving into our school year will help and I look forward to starting kindergarten with, as I call him, "my favorite boy named Joey."
Comments
Post a Comment