Skip to main content

Updates from the Homefront

It seems like the months of February and March blew by in a whirlwind, and here it is April already.  It seems like it's time for an update all the way around!

Ben
We are wrapping up our spring break from school.  We were obviously off while we were apart during the DC trip, and I thought we'd pick right back up when we got home.  Hmmm, not so much.  We had lost time to make up for, catching up around the house, and Andrew was on spring break.  It seems like we have a hard time doing school when Ben's favorite playmate is around.  :-)  Today is the last day off for everyone though and we officially hit the books tomorrow.  Ben is such a bookworm and I find him with books before I would find him with toys.  Last night after tucking the boys in bed, I heard Ben reading a book out loud.  When I went in, he was in bed with Joey with a flashlight, reading to him.  Of course we couldn't scold THAT, especially when he said he was reading to Joey to help him feel better (Joe's got a bad cold and is under the weather).

Joey
Joe's recent news is his bad cold.  He had a fever over the weekend, some green snot, and all sorts of goodness.  I thought we'd have him at the doctor today but his fever is gone and he is acting better.  Lately he's been such a good playmate to Ben and they have been getting along much more often than irritating Ben.  These brothers really love each other and they have to hug and kiss before bedtime, dropping Joey at pre-school, if one goes to the store with a mom or dad, and so on.  I only pray that their bond deepens as they grow up and remain the best of friends into adulthood.  Joey is reading quite a bit.  I think it's more photographic memory than anything else, but he only needs to see something once to know what it says.  He can write his first and last name and has been more interested in writing other letters that he's learned at pre-school.  Such a smart boy.




Hannah
13 months going on 13 years I think!!  She is her own woman and does not like to be forced into anything against her will, and that includes eating.  If she doesn't like what is in front of her she squeals until she gets something she likes.  Ugh.  Her brothers developed more picky food behaviors, but not until they were 2 or 3.  For her to be doing this at 1 is a change of pace for us!  Biggest news is that she is taking steps here and there around the house, but she's not full-out walking yet.  I'm ready for her to do it so she can be outside with us and not have to crawl around on the ground.  She loves bath time (even put her face in the water and liked it!), shoes, and her toy purses.  We moved her back into the high chair.  We originally took her out because she was throwing food over the tray, so she came to the table in a booster seat.  That worked for awhile until her spot at the table turned into a huge mess.  It was draining to clean up after her 3 meals a day.  The food is much more contained in the high chair tray and there is a towel under the high chair to catch crumbs.  It's helped substantially.

Jenn
I kinda quit Diet Coke.  It has been my go-to beverage for years.  I have read enough things now about some of the ingredients in diet soda that I knew it was time to part ways with this old friend.  When I thought about it, the only reason I drank it was for the carbonation.  Drinking diet was the best way to do it without any calorie guilt.  But I can't do without carbonation all together because nothing quenches my thirst like bubbly water!!  I've actually switched to seltzer water (flavored with a dash of lemon or lime juice) which I've always liked.  I still will occasionally get a Diet Coke when I'm out, but it's not something I need to keep in the house anymore.

Andrew
He's in the home stretch of the school year now and our family calendar is filled with his school events, namely concerts/performances and award ceremonies.  It makes for long days and weeks, but summer will come soon.  He's actually about ready to start hunting for a little summer job.  We decided it was time to take advantage of his summer off to make a little extra money to pay down student loans and debt for the new windows we put in the house a couple years ago.  He's thinking he'd like to do retail, so if you know of anyone looking for summer/seasonal help, let us know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog