Skip to main content

Ben's First Fan Mail

One of my favorite things to do with Ben is watch 19 Kids and Counting on TLC.  He absolutely loves that show and even started having dreams featuring the family!  Not only is it the safest show on tv for little eyes, it has created many teachable moments as Ben has asked questions about the Duggar Family.  I love that the show provides him with role models of boys and girls just like him:  kids who love Jesus, who love and obey their parents, and who also happen to be homeschooled too.

We had a cute little talk about them the other day when Ben told me that he wished he could meet the family, but we couldn't because they were just tv show characters.  I explained to him that some shows do have characters, but the Duggars' show is with real people and their real lives.  He immediately asked if we could go visit them, but then I had to explain that you just can't invite yourself over to strangers' houses... to which he said, "They aren't strangers!  We know their names!"  So innocent and sweet.  He wanted to know where they live (which is in NW Arkansas) and then asked me to put a little arrow post-it-note there on our big world map. 

I told him that we could go on their website and send them an email.  I prompted him with ideas and he told me what to write.  We just sent it tonight before he went to bed.  Here it is, in all of its heart-melting glory.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Duggar and Family,
My name is Benjamin and I am 6 years old. I live in St. Charles, Missouri, near St. Louis! I have a mom and dad, and a younger brother named Joey and a baby sister named Hannah. Our house is not as big as yours. It is not big enough for 19 kids! I LOVE to watch your show on tv with my mom. I really like the slide in your house and I wish I could go down it. One of my favorite episodes this year was when your family went fishing. I really want to email you to tell you about two dreams I had about your family! In the first one, your family was working in a little store. That's all I remember about that dream. In the other dream, we were driving home from our church and Mrs. Duggar was driving us home! That was my favorite dream. I'm a homeschool student too and I think it's really neat to see other homeschoolers on tv! I wish I could meet you sometime. We have a big world map in our dining room (where we have school), and I asked my mom to put an arrow sticker pointing to where you live.
Sincerely,  Ben

Comments

Popular posts from this blog