Skip to main content

Recipe Time: Homemade Cheese Crackers

The boys and I stopped by the library today and they were displaying a book about kitchen art for kids.  This recipe was in that book.  I've seen homemade cheese cracker recipes before, but I guess I was inspired today and Ben and I made them.  Not only do they look super cute, but they are delicious... think cracker version of Red Lobster's Cheddar Bay Biscuits!!!  I love making roll-out treats, so it's nice to have an alternative to cookies.
Ben chose baseball, football, dinosaur, and car cookie cutters.

You'll need:
1 cup flour plus extra for rolling pin/work top
1/2 tsp garlic powder (more or less to taste)
1/4 cup chilled butter, diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 beaten egg, in a separate bowl
kosher salt

Heat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.  Mix together the flour and garlic powder.  Cut in the butter (the recipe said to use knives, but I find it easier and quicker to use my hands).  You want the butter/flour chunks to be about pea sized.  Once that is well incorporated, mix in the cheese.  Then add only two tablespoons of the beaten egg.  Kneed by hand until the dough is smooth (like play-dough).

Flour your work top and rolling pin and thinly roll out the dough.  Cut with cookie cutters as desired.  Sprinkle with kosher salt before putting them in the oven.  Bake 12-14 minutes. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I definitely think we will be trying those this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog