Skip to main content

It's Been a Long Time Coming

I haven't blogged in awhile and I guess it's because things have been relatively calm around here!  On Wednesday the 16th, Andrew and I, along with 57 high school music students and a few more chaperones boarded 2 coach buses and drove to Orlando.  We had a wonderful time, thanks to super well-behaved kids.  I credit their teacher with that!!  He lays out his expectations and they rise to them.  We spent most of a day at Epcot, one day between the Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, and one full day at the Magic Kingdom.  All of our pictures are up and you can see them here!  Ben and Joey spent that time with their Grandma and Grandpa Scott, who kept them busy from sun up to sun down!  They went bowling, hit the McDonalds playland and the local park a few times, the library, and the children's museum in Decatur.  Taking two little kids on a high school trip like this is not a good scenario.  This was especially realized when we had to sit for 2 hours in the First Aid office at Magic Kingdom while two of Andrew's students napped off some illness!!

I can't say that there is too much to report on Ben and Joey.  Joe had a really "off" day today and whined and whined and cried and cried about everything.  I have seen him gnawing on fingers lately and I wonder if his 2 yr molars are giving him trouble because they haven't come in yet.  He's shown some potty interest lately and always intentionally pees when he gets in the bathtub.  He will occasionally want to sit on his potty chair but nothing has come out yet.  He also loves watching Ben go.  It's safe to say that he'll probably train a lot earlier than Ben did!!  I think if I worked with him he'd get it... so if he doesn't show any initiative before summer, I'll start then. I've really enjoyed the times when Joey lets me snuggle and rock him (I think it's my baby fever warming up!).  Today he snuggled with me on the couch before naptime and he fell asleep there.  While he's been doing a lot of patience-testing lately, these moments of sweet closeness mend the soul.

I started reading the book Radical by David Platt and it's kicking my tush (in a good way).  The author talks about how the American church has "manipulated a God-centered gospel to fit our human-centered preferences."  It is a call to simply do what Jesus said in Luke 9:23:  "Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me." I'm just in the 2nd chapter or so, but it's an easy-to-read, very conversational book.  Any person who is a church-goer (no matter what denomination!) needs to read it.  God's really been working on me with my prayer life, and the book has helped me to see that.  I have no problem sitting down with my Bible and reading 5 or 6 chapters.  But to sit before Him and share my heart, to pray for my family, for the needs of people around me... I just don't make time, then I feel rushed, and then I give up.  I've shared this with several people and am working on it.  But I love that in Radical, Platt clearly points out that prayerlessness is sin.   I know that.  But for me, having it called out as such was a good accountability punch that I needed to hear.  I'll be sharing more on this as I get further into the book and God shows me where I need to redirect my ways and thinking... to deny myself... to follow Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog