Skip to main content

Back to School

Remember when I used to write here more? I would do posts from throughout the year and wrap ups and all that. So here you go: school year 2020-2021 was pretty great. School life wasn't disrupted too much. We finished well but we were ready to be done. We've enjoyed every last drop of summer. :-)

As I grow in my knowledge and understanding of the classical model, my philosophy of educating continues to mature. Last winter I was able to attend a seminar on assessment, and the my biggest takeaway had nothing to do with grades. The seminar leader asked us to list the kinds of things we hoped our children would be like when they graduated. We answered with things like being biblically literate, wise, kind, godly, generous, good stewards, missions-minded, etc. And she followed with this: then why are we assessing them like those things don't matter? That began to shift my focus. This summer I've been slowly working my way through Norms and Nobility which is considered to be the premier book on classical Christian education. I have been overwhelmed in the best way with the idea that virtue (in our home, modeled by none other than Christ himself) reigns over all when it comes to paideia. 

With that, as we begin our second decade of home-based learning, I'm less concerned with averages and letter grades (though I still do keep grades and records and transcripts), and I'm more concerned with heart shaping with eternity in mind. 

Here's where we are headed this school year as we continue with Classical Conversations. After directing Challenge A, B, and I with Ben's class, I've passed them on to another director so they can have another voice speaking into their lives. I will be repeating Challenge B with Joey and his class. I've never been his tutor EVER so this is really exciting for us!

Ben: Challenge II (sophomore)

  • Math: He'll continue working through his Algebra I book. It's taking longer because it's challenging for him, and we're going for mastery versus finishing a book just because the school year is over.
  • Grammar: Continuing his study of Latin with Henle Second Year. He'll still be learning vocab and grammar rules, but he'll also spend time translating from Caesar's Gallic Wars. 
  • Reasoning: In first semester, continued formal logic with Memoria Press's Traditional Logic II. Second semester, he'll read Plato's Crito and Meno. Class discussion will attempt to define virtue and discuss whether it can be taught.
  • Science: Apologia Biology. Labs will be done at CC and he'll write lab reports too. 
  • Western Cultural History: Integrating the skills of research, exposition, and logic, students compile summaries of various artists and composers and discuss in seminar how the arts influence (and are influenced by) culture. They learn how to write art grant proposals too which is pretty cool!
  • Literature & writing: Using British literature, he'll work on exposition, composition, and rhetorical skills. He'll continue to hone his persuasive essay writing skills. 
  • Driver's Ed
  • Extra-curriculars: youth group, class of 2024 activities, piano lessons (new teacher this year!), taekwondo
Joey: Challenge B (8th grade)

  • Math: He's got a handful of lessons left in Saxon 87 and will move into Algebra 1. Math comes pretty easily to him!
  • History/social science:  First semester he will study the lives of American historical figures his class will discuss whether their reputations are grounded in truth and if these people really should be considered heroes. Second semester, he will participate in Mock Trail of a job site accidental death case.  The case is prepared from scratch (not just memorizing parts) and will be be heard by a sitting judge in a county courthouse in the spring.  
  • Exposition: First semester he will read selected novels and continue writing persuasive essays about them using Lost Tools of Writing from Circe Institute. Second semester he will learn short story form, read classic short stories, and write his own short story to compile into an anthology with his classmates.
  • Reasoning: In this strand he will learn formal logic for the first time with Introductory Logic and Intermediate Logic from Canon Press. 
  • Grammar: Continued study of Latin vocab and grammar using Henle First Year.
  • Science: First semester is the history of astronomy, conducting research on 13 different astronomers. Spring semester is a quick but in depth introduction to chemistry as well as a bit more on origins.
  • Extra-curriculars: youth group, piano lessons (also with the new teacher), and taekwondo.
Hannah (4th grade)
  • Math: she's close to finishing Saxon 54 and will move onto 65! 
  • Spelling: All About Spelling. She's about halfway through level 4.
  • Reading: Selections from the 1000 Good Books List
  • Grammar: Classical Conversations Essentials of the English Language 
  • Writing: IEW Teaching Writing Practicum & Ancient History Based Writing Lessons (done in conjunction with Essentials program)
  • History and Geography: Mystery of History Vol 1 - Ancient History
  • Science: Christian Kids Explore series (1st semester - biology, 2nd semester - physical science), activities from The Sandbox on CC Connected.
  • Cursive practice
  • CC Memory work review and prepping oral presentations each week
  • Extra-curriculars: American Heritage Girls, piano lessons (with dad still!) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog