I dedicated the month of April to a fourth food reset and wanted to share what I learned this time around. It wasn't a true Whole30 so I am not going to call it that; as I've come to learn through Whole30 literature and their ongoing education of the masses on Instagram, it's ok to do subsequent resets that are more tailored to your personal needs (see Melissa Hartwig's book Food Freedom Forever).
I felt it was time for a reset because many food habits were a bit out of control. Too many carbs and late night snacking were the main culprits. I needed the boundaries to say no to everything I had been craving. The month went by very fast because we were so busy, but in spite of that I think this was the easiest Whole30/reset experience I have had to date.
So this time around, I ate true Whole30 about 95% of the time. The only areas I fudged were letting small amounts of sugar in a couple things (meat snack sticks, ketchup primarily) and on a few occasions, deli meats that had non-compliant additives. I never did grains or dairy or legumes for sure. The deli meat probably had soy, but other than that I wouldn't have consumed it anywhere else.
I had one goal this time around, and it was to incorporate MORE fat into what I was eating each day. I've learned over time about the importance of healthy fats in the diet and how it affects appetite and blood sugar balance. Get a bit of info about that from Dr. Mark Hyman. I found that I didn't need to snack as much between meals and that I wasn't needing carby foods to help me feel full, which i is notable because I had gotten to that point over the last several months. The blood sugar jitters I often felt when I got hungry were non-existent. YES!
To get the extra fat in, I was making smoothies with half avocado instead of a banana, which was tremendously delicious and creamy. If I did need to snack, I stuck to nuts. When I was cooking, I was more liberal with my cooking fats - olive oil, clarified butter, and coconut oil. If there was cooking fat left in the pan after I made something, I drizzled it on top of my food.
My little reset came to an abrupt stop after I came down with a nasty little virus yesterday with fever, intense body aches, and a sore throat. The only thing that sounded good was popsicles so I ate those liberally. I finally had an appetite by dinnertime, and while most food sounded gross all day, all I could think of was a Sonic burger patty with pickles, french fries, and a strawberry real-fruit slush. :-) I am much better today, but the popsicles have nipped this reset in the bud and I guess I'm back to normal eating life.
I'm really glad I had this experience this time around and going forward, I want to continue the fat inclusion in hopes that I curb the carb trend that I had been on all winter.
I felt it was time for a reset because many food habits were a bit out of control. Too many carbs and late night snacking were the main culprits. I needed the boundaries to say no to everything I had been craving. The month went by very fast because we were so busy, but in spite of that I think this was the easiest Whole30/reset experience I have had to date.
So this time around, I ate true Whole30 about 95% of the time. The only areas I fudged were letting small amounts of sugar in a couple things (meat snack sticks, ketchup primarily) and on a few occasions, deli meats that had non-compliant additives. I never did grains or dairy or legumes for sure. The deli meat probably had soy, but other than that I wouldn't have consumed it anywhere else.
I had one goal this time around, and it was to incorporate MORE fat into what I was eating each day. I've learned over time about the importance of healthy fats in the diet and how it affects appetite and blood sugar balance. Get a bit of info about that from Dr. Mark Hyman. I found that I didn't need to snack as much between meals and that I wasn't needing carby foods to help me feel full, which i is notable because I had gotten to that point over the last several months. The blood sugar jitters I often felt when I got hungry were non-existent. YES!
To get the extra fat in, I was making smoothies with half avocado instead of a banana, which was tremendously delicious and creamy. If I did need to snack, I stuck to nuts. When I was cooking, I was more liberal with my cooking fats - olive oil, clarified butter, and coconut oil. If there was cooking fat left in the pan after I made something, I drizzled it on top of my food.
My little reset came to an abrupt stop after I came down with a nasty little virus yesterday with fever, intense body aches, and a sore throat. The only thing that sounded good was popsicles so I ate those liberally. I finally had an appetite by dinnertime, and while most food sounded gross all day, all I could think of was a Sonic burger patty with pickles, french fries, and a strawberry real-fruit slush. :-) I am much better today, but the popsicles have nipped this reset in the bud and I guess I'm back to normal eating life.
I'm really glad I had this experience this time around and going forward, I want to continue the fat inclusion in hopes that I curb the carb trend that I had been on all winter.
Comments
Post a Comment