Skip to main content

Whole30: 8 Days Left

It's day 22 and honestly, I really want pizza.  I guess it epitomizes the two main food groups I haven't had the last 22 days -- cheese (dairy) and grains.  But I'm pressing on to finish strong because that's what I set out to do and I'm going to do it.

The first 1/3 of the month - specifically the middle of the first week - was definitely the hardest.  But this second third has been so much easier!  I found a routine, some new veggie creations to rely on, and convenience meats at Trader Joe's.  And best of all, I began to feel so much better:  sleeping better, all-day-long sustained energy, and overall better disposition.  As for my appearance, my facial skin is much much better (it's a battle I've had for years!) and I know I've lost puffiness from inflammation.  I've definitely lost some weight, though I don't know how much because you're not supposed to weigh yourself.  However, I may have had a moment of weakness and measured my waist to find an inch gone... don't tell the W30 police.  :-)  But through it all I've never ever starved, I've not counted a single calorie, and I've been the most balanced, calm, destressed, and content I've been in a long time.  I have cooked a lot and washed a LOT LOT LOT of dishes though.

In conjunction with Whole30, per the advisement of my naturopath I started using progesterone cream because labwork from November showed my numbers to be low.  This does not surprise me because I've felt for a long time like I have been exhibiting the symptoms of low progesterone that I read on this website not long ago.  Without getting too detailed, the cream is used for part of a woman's cycle and then stopped for the other part.  And guess what?  Many of my old symptoms began creeping back in when I had to stop.  SO, the good news is that the cream is helping a lot (yay!).  Does this mean that Whole30 hasn't done its job?  Absolutely not, because I've learned that diet is a MAJOR influencer of hormone balance.  Keeping sugar out and other inflammatory foods will only help my body recover and find balance again.  And it takes a few months for the progesterone to really start maintaining consistent levels.  So as much as I want to just drop Whole30 on February 6th like a hot potato, I really should continue eating this way most of the time.  Once the thirty days are over I will carefully reintroduce the foods I've cut out to see if I have any negative reactions to anything.  If they don't bother me, then I will eat them in moderation.  If they bother me, then I guess that takes care of that.

So here's what I've been eating starting at Day 12 (find the first 11 days here).

Breakfast (combinations of the following)

  • homemade sausage patties
  • smoothies (I talked about those in the first 11 days post) made with banana, greens, coconut milk, ice, and flaxseed.
  • eggs (scrambled or omelette)
  • "cereal" - blueberries, almonds, coconut shreds, coconut milk
  • apples + almond butter
Lunch (always with various forms of veggies on the side, sometimes potatoes)
  • sausage skillet with Aidelle's sausage plus peppers and other veggies
  • leftovers of dinners
  • Trader Joe's turkey burgers or chile lime chicken burgers 
  • Applegate hot dogs
  • RESTAURANT FOOD!  Ate at a Mexican place and ordered fajitas and just ate the meat and veggies.  Thankfully nothing bothered me!
Dinner
  • TJ's turkey burgers or chile lime chicken burgers
  • pork roast
  • homemade meatballs served over spaghetti squash (YUM)
  • taco meat (homemade seasoning - YUM) over baked potato halves and again leftover on salad greens; mixed a yummy dressing of guacamole + salsa + W30 ranch.
  • homemade chicken fingers "breaded" with clarified butter and almond flour; baked in oven.  Excellent when reheated on the skillet!
  • CHINESE TAKE OUT - wait what??!!  Our favorite Chinese place offers steamed "diet" dishes with sauce on the side.  I topped my steamed chicken and mixed vegetables with coconut aminos and enjoyed the night off from cooking.  Easy!
  • Aidelle's sausage
  • leftovers of other meals
  • skillet chicken in a sauce made with homemade broth, mushrooms, and lots of garlic.  YUM.
  • burgers on the grill
I have a meeting to get to tonight so I need to wrap this up.  But I'll be back in about a week with my final wrap up of how things went!

Thanks for following along.  I hope you give W30 a try -- I think every person needs to do it at least once to see what you can do for yourself just by eating.  xoxoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog