Skip to main content

Through Elementary School... And Beyond!

It's no secret that we love our homeschool group, Classical Conversations.  We have been really enjoying our time in the elementary program, but can I let you in on a little secret?  I. CAN'T. WAIT. until our kids reach the upper level Challenge Program which spans 7th-12th grades.  

CC's vision isn't to get students to ace standardized tests, to be founts of useless knowledge, to get into the best Ivy League Schools, or to rake in the biggest paycheck some day.  It is to develop students who can "Know God and Make Him Known."  Every element that goes into the Foundations, Essentials, and Challenge programs guides students towards a solid foundation of knowledge in all subject areas, as well as logic, mock trial, debate, and Christian apologetics for the purpose of learning about our Creator and then going into the world -- as artists, zoologists, stay at home parents, CEOs, plumbers, whatever -- who can clearly and articulately tell others about Him.  

Last week, 4 or 5 different people asked me if we plan to homeschool through high school. I rarely hear that question and oddly enough I got it multiple times in a matter of days.  Lord willing, it's the plan and we'll work our way through CC.  I gave this short-version explanation to one of the people who asked me about going through high school:  CC's scope and sequence at the high school level is phenomenal.  It is ultra-exclusive-and-expensive-private-Classical-school caliber at a fraction of the cost.  Why wouldn't I want to continue on that track?  
I love love love what a mom shared on our national CC Facebook page today and I have her permission to share it.  For context, her Challenge B daughter and her dad were watching last night's Democratic debate.  She said to her mom:
"I was listening to the debates last night and Hillary used "ad hominem" a lot! (attacking an opponents character or his motives instead of disproving his argument) they all did ... and they used Red Herrings (introducing an irrelevant point to the argument), "Tu Quoque" (Dismissing another person's view point, because the speaker is inconsistent in that very thing - i.e. because they are a hypocrite), and "appeals to the people" (claiming a view point is correct just because many people agree with it) WHICH are all examples of debate tactics to "avoid answering the question" and I think most politicians are just very skilled at not answering the question...." (and yes she does the same thing with Republican debates too). 
smile emoticon
And mom then added: 
First: I had to have her define what Ad Hominem and Tu Quoque were. tongue emoticon
Second: If I haven't said it before - THIS is what I LOVE about, and why I chose this curriculum. This should be taught in EVERY SCHOOL. In a world where people are BOMBARDED every day by people, companies, ads, religions, and politicians all vying to manipulate and control our thinking, to be able to, at 14 years old, hear a debate and not be emotionally driven by the words but hear that no one is offering real answers or opinions is the greatest step to be a TRUE 'free thinker.'
I love it.  14 years old.  EIGHTH GRADE.  This is what CC is all about and that's why we are in it for the long haul.  I'll probably be more excited to walk with our kids through this than they will be.  As tell my friend Rachel, who is our campus's Challenge A tutor, "I can't wait to be a Challenge tutor when I grow up!"

PS... Pioneer Woman (food blogger, author, tv show personality [can I also mention that adore her?]) and her family are Classical Conversations people and they graduated their firstborn out of the Challenge Program this spring.  Read about it here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog