Skip to main content

Mommy Stuff

Happy Mother's Day night.  :-)  I was "off duty" a lot this weekend thanks to my wonderful, selfless husband, but had some housework to catch up on tonight because this job of motherhood doesn't stop.  Some little lady decided to squeeze her pieces of orange around the dining room, leaving sticky spots everywhere.

I had a couple things I wanted to weigh in on tonight.  A few years ago Mother's Day took on new meaning for me after reading two pieces about motherhood and Mother's Day.  I wrote about it in 2012 and to date, it's one of my favorite posts that I think of and refer back to quite often.  Go peek here if you want.  But because of this mindset change, I don't seek out a big lavish celebration and am content with whatever gestures of love Andrew and the kids bring my way.  After a few CC mom friends decided to go to dinner and a movie Saturday night, I told Andrew I wanted to go and we'd call that my gift.  

We saw the movie Mom's Night Out (website with trailers here).  Mothers of all ages neeeeeeed to go see it!!  It is a comedy plot about moms who need a night out of the house, and through many things that go wrong, misunderstandings, and miscommunications, it is one big farce that leaves you in stitches.  It also has several poignant moments that left me in tears not one, or two, or even three times.  It was at least five people.  The moments that the main character faces were so real, so familiar.  And I couldn't believe I was seeing it on the big screen. 

As I drove home, even when I got in the door and told Andrew about the movie, I kept crying because it hit me that someone finally made a good movie about my job.  The concept of stay at home motherhood isn't popular or glamorous.  Daughters aren't told that it's ok to want to be "just a mom" if that's what God is calling them to do.  This job is filled with insanity and ups and down and a lot of poop and is not for faint of heart!  I so appreciated the message and encourage you to go see the movie this week if you can... it may not last in theaters too long because let's face it... values-based family comedies aren't big money-makers for the studios.    

To wrap up, I was blessed with some sweet presents after Sunday School today.  Ben and Joey each made me presents in their respective classes.




And we went for pizza for dinner at a favorite spot of ours and Hannah (in a coordinating dress to mine today but we never got a twinsie picture, nuts!) was so pretty in the sunlight streaming in the window.  

I guess I have no deep words of wisdom this year like in 2012... I'm just ever so grateful that I'm allowed to do what I do every day with my husband right by my side and my God in my heart.  Happy Mother's Day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog