Coming this fall, we're branching out of our little homeschool box and joining a weekly learning community called Classical Conversations. It is a supplemental program rooted in classical education, the method of schooling we follow. It's an international organization with local chapters. There are several in the St. Louis area and we'll be a part of a brand new community in St. Charles!
While there, the boys will be learning and memorizing about 400 pieces of information from most subject areas ranging from history to math to science to Latin to music! They will be a part of the Foundations classes - for elementary school aged kids learning the grammar of these different subjects. They will do weekly presentations and learn how to play the tin whistle too! Hannah, by the way, will be in a nursery with other lil brothers and sisters. We will be meeting on Monday mornings and the host church is actually right down the street from us. It'll be so nice to stay in our neighborhood.
And as for the Momma, I'm looking forward to getting connected to other like-minded women and growing relationships with them. It's something I lacked this past year with Joey having pre-school 2x a week and a baby who naps 2x a day. I will actually be leading the 4-5 yr old classes as a trained and paid tutor. It is a blessing that I can do this because it dramatically help cover the cost of the program for our family. It is a little overwhelming knowing how much information needs to be taught in the classrooms. BUT... I feel very confident working with this age group and there will only be 8 kids in my class (and moms stay in and participate too).
Plus, Wednesday through Friday of this week, I get to go to three full days worth of training! I'm so excited!!!!!! It's like going to school and I'm quite excited to learn from experienced CC-ers. I have already printed out the note-taking pages they sent me and put them in a three ring binder! I love learning, especially when it comes that which will make me a stronger home educator. There are so many fabulous homeschool conventions that take place throughout the country but none are ever close enough or come at a convenient time for our family. This is such a blessing to be poured into for once instead of being the pourer-outer. Ha! And it's a free event, so that's pretty handy too. I'm thankful for Andrew who supports me in this 100% and is going to be the "homemaker" while I go off from 9-4 each day.
So, more on CC soon! I'm excited to share our experiences over the next school year.
While there, the boys will be learning and memorizing about 400 pieces of information from most subject areas ranging from history to math to science to Latin to music! They will be a part of the Foundations classes - for elementary school aged kids learning the grammar of these different subjects. They will do weekly presentations and learn how to play the tin whistle too! Hannah, by the way, will be in a nursery with other lil brothers and sisters. We will be meeting on Monday mornings and the host church is actually right down the street from us. It'll be so nice to stay in our neighborhood.
And as for the Momma, I'm looking forward to getting connected to other like-minded women and growing relationships with them. It's something I lacked this past year with Joey having pre-school 2x a week and a baby who naps 2x a day. I will actually be leading the 4-5 yr old classes as a trained and paid tutor. It is a blessing that I can do this because it dramatically help cover the cost of the program for our family. It is a little overwhelming knowing how much information needs to be taught in the classrooms. BUT... I feel very confident working with this age group and there will only be 8 kids in my class (and moms stay in and participate too).
Plus, Wednesday through Friday of this week, I get to go to three full days worth of training! I'm so excited!!!!!! It's like going to school and I'm quite excited to learn from experienced CC-ers. I have already printed out the note-taking pages they sent me and put them in a three ring binder! I love learning, especially when it comes that which will make me a stronger home educator. There are so many fabulous homeschool conventions that take place throughout the country but none are ever close enough or come at a convenient time for our family. This is such a blessing to be poured into for once instead of being the pourer-outer. Ha! And it's a free event, so that's pretty handy too. I'm thankful for Andrew who supports me in this 100% and is going to be the "homemaker" while I go off from 9-4 each day.
So, more on CC soon! I'm excited to share our experiences over the next school year.

Comments
Post a Comment